Tuesday, March 3, 2015

National Geographic

Eight years ago this month I got a call from a co-worker that I will never forget.  I was sitting at my desk in Maitland, FL, when the call came in and the voice on the other end of the line said, "Hey, what church do you go to?"  I responded, "First Baptist Church of Orlando. Why?" He said, "Well, I think I just saw your picture in this month's National Geographic."  Now, that's not something you hear every day so I was more than a little surprised, to say the least.  Of course I had to go out and find a copy and see for myself.  So, yes, there I was, smack dab in the middle of the magazine!  When I saw the picture, I remembered the day because I recalled seeing a photographer in church that day.  I had no idea that the photographer was taking pictures for an article about Orlando, FL, for National Geographic.  This is one of my treasured memories.

When I think of National Geographic I think of Africa.  (Elephants grace the cover of the March 2007 issue by the way.)  When I think of Africa I think about exotic landscapes, animals, and people groups and missionaries like Dr. David Livingstone who traveled to Africa to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  This means a lot to me as I prepare to go on mission to Alaska, a place that is as equally fascinating to me as Africa.

So, without further ado, here's a link to the National Geographic photo gallery.  Look at the fourth picture wherein you get a glimpse of families worshiping the risen savior, Jesus Christ:
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2007/03/orlando/burnett-photography



No comments:

Post a Comment