Tuesday, March 31, 2015

For Every Mountain

Many things come to mind when I think about Alaska, and one of them is mountains.  I love the mountains.  I particularly like cycling up mountains and enjoying the view from the top and the tremendous sense of accomplishment of having endured the suffering it took to get there.  Then of course I like to bomb the decent like a wanna-be pro, but it's the effort of actually climbing the mountain that I am most proud of and the decent, like the view from the top is the reward.

In life, we go through many trials and they are like mountains before us. Big things in our lives that are difficult to endure and overcome.  But God is faithful and will carry us through those tough times, if we will let Him.  We are not always thankful for those seasons of life in the moment, but many times we look back upon them and give Him thanks and praise. That's what this song is about.  Not just being thankful for all the things we clearly see as good in our lives, but being thankful for the hard times, the mountains.

I remember the first time I heard this song.  I was visiting Prestonwood Baptist Church in Plano, TX, with my wife and kids.  We were guests at the time but it was this song that cemented my decision to join that congregation.  I had never witnessed such power-filled music in my life.  In Psalm 22:3 it says, "Yet You are Holy, Enthroned on the Praises of Israel."  I've heard worship leaders and pastors re-phrase it as, "God Inhabits the Praise of His People."  Well, that's what seemed to be happening right before my eyes!  It was powerful and I will never forget it.

Below is a video from Prestonwood of that song.  I don't think it's the same lady singing up front as the one we saw over 14 years ago, but it's every bit as powerful and I hope it brings you hope, comfort, and encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment